LASH EXTENSIONS COMMON TYPES
There are three types of lash extensions: synthetic, silk and mink. Size availability ranges from 8mm to 14mm. Once selected, the lashes are applied one at a time using a specially formulated, semi-permanent glue that will not irritate the eye nor damage the natural lash. However, since allergic reactions are possible, there are different types of glue based on one’s sensitivity.
LASH EXTENSIONS TIPS
1. Do your research. There are tons of lash boutiques in every major city and it’s tough to choose the right one. Find a lash artist that takes the time to properly apply extensions and has good reviews.
2. They will NOT damage your natural eyelashes. The key to proper lash extensions is the application method. If lashes are applied the right way, they will never break off or pull out your natural lashes. Going in, you should also be mindful to not pick or pull at them.
3. Plan to arrive at least five minutes early. This gives you the chance to get comfortable and address any questions or concerns with your lash artist.
4. Your first appointment will generally last 60-90 min. During lash extension appointments, your eyes will be closed the entire time. This is your time to take a midday nap!
5. Eyelash extensions are customizable. Who would have thought? There are many different lengths, curls and diameters of eyelash extensions as well as different looks that can be created. The most popular shapes are a cat eye, where the longest length is on the outer corner, or a round and open look where the longer length is in the middle.
6. Try a more natural look the first time. Unless you want to look like Kim Kardashian, it’s best practice to go with a natural look your first time. You can always add more drama later.
7. Maintenance is easy. We suggest a fill every 2.5-to-3 weeks. If you want them to last longer, be careful about how much you touch and rub your eyes. You should also brush them a couple times a week with the spoolie brush your lash artist sent you home with.
8. Do lash extensions fall out over a certain period of time?
Since each lash extension is attached to a single eyelash, they will fall out naturally along with the natural growth cycle of each lash. We recommend a touch-up every three to four weeks. When an inexperienced professional applies lashes, he or she often applies one synthetic lash to three to four natural lashes, causing clumps or the lash to break and fall out. In addition, your lashes might fall out if you pick at them or try to pull them out yourself, which is a big no-no. But if you avoid those two problems, your lashes should stay intact.
9. You CAN get them wet. That’s good news for all the water babies out there. Just wait the recommended 12-24 hours before you get them wet. And after that? Shower, swim, work out, whatever.
10. You CAN wear makeup. The best part of extensions is you can ditch your mascara and eyelash curler and cut your beauty routine time down, but that doesn’t mean you CAN’T wear eye makeup. If you love a winged eyeliner or a smokey eye, go right ahead and rock your look. Just make sure you are using something oil-free to take it off.
11. They’re not permanent! If you want to take a break from your extensions there are two ways to do it — have them taken off or let them come off naturally. Removal takes only take a few minutes.
NStyle Beauty Lounge
1500 Avenue McGill College
Montreal, QC H3A 3J5
Mon - Tue: 10am - 7pm
Wed - Fri: 10am - 8pm
Sat: 10am - 7pm
Sun: 10am - 6pm